|inhabitants (status 31.12.2022)
|district of the community of Nebelschütz
Two and three-sided farmsteads are grouped around the former Piskowitz manor, which presumably stands on the site of a former moated castle. The former manor house, known in the Sorbian vernacular as a castle, is now used as a residential building. A few meters further there is the village chapel, built by the residents themselves, and the beautifully designed Bulang riding stables (Bulankec jěchanski dwór).
The high proportion of forest in the village can be traced back to the sandy soil to which the place name refers (1280 Pezkowicz; pěsk = sand). Juniper is often found in the pine forests near Piskowitz. A stately winter linden tree with a trunk circumference of 3m rises on the road to Rosenthal. On the north-eastern border of the district there are 17 barrows near Schmerlitz, which are protected as ground monuments and belong to the Lusatian culture from the Middle Bronze Age.
The presence of lignite led to the opening of an open-cast mine south of Piskowitz in 1947. Funding ended in the spring of 1959. Today the "Manfredsee" is filled with water and serves water sports enthusiasts as a practice area.
Piskowitz and its 240 inhabitants have a beautiful natural sports field surrounded by forest. It is managed together with the multi-purpose building by the Piskowitz sports club (Sportowe towarstwo Pěskecy). The Piskowitz Youth Club (Młodźinski klub Pěskecy) is also located on the natural sports field.
Sources: Hans Neumann and Werner Schmidt, "Westliche Oberlausitz between Kamenz and Königswartha", 1990; Heinz Kubasch, "Heimatbuch"
activities in the village
more information here [⇒]